Hattons was established by Norman Hatton upon his demob from the army in 1946. He bought a small shop in Smithdown Road, where he sold anything that was in demand after the war. Things we take for granted today were in high demand with little supply to be found. Items such as firewood, second hand toys and fireworks sold like hot cakes.
Gradually he found toys and particularly model trains were forming the bulk of the business and that, by advertising, customers could be obtained nationwide. Norman bought larger premises in 1958 in which we remained until 2001
182 Smithdown Road, next door, was purchased in 1999 to give much needed extra space for their growing needs. However this soon proved insufficient and larger premises were found at the outer end of Smithdown road to which we moved during the winter of 2001/2.
When Norman retired in 1998, his son Keith took over the running of the business, assisted by his sister, Christine.
Keith Hatton died, aged 48, in September 2008. At the time of his death Keith had been responsible for Hattons emergence as the leading independent retailer in the sector which we operate in.
In 2018, Richard Davies, who has worked for Hattons since 1999, purchased a majority shareholding in the firm. Christine remains a shareholder. Both work in the business on a day to day basis.